Guest Review by Adya Gupta, An 8 years old film buff and a budding writer based in Singapore.
This movie is called Inside Out and its a Pixar film ! It is about a girl named Riley who is having a normal life ,until, they move to San Francisco and her life is different . She has five thoughts in her head Joy, Sadness, Disgust, Fear and Anger. They all work together to make sure that Riley has the right emotions and they control her personality from their place in her brain !
In my opinion, Joy, Sadness and Riley are the main characters of this film and Disgust, Fear and Anger are supporting characters! The movie starts to get interesting when Sadness starts affecting Riley’s mood by touching the special memories. And each time that Sadness does this, Joy tries to stop it and gets Sadness to stop affecting Riley’s mood.
The story starts to develop when they get sucked up a pipe which leads to a place called long-term memory where they get lost and can’t find their way back. Meanwhile, Riley cannot feel any joy or sadness because Joy and Sadness have left the headquarters and are lost. And in their absence, Disgust and Anger are controlling Riley in the wrong way. So Joy and Sadness take the help of Riley’s imaginary friend, Bing Bong, to travel to Imaginary Town and find their way back to Head Quarters just in time to save Riley from going back to Minnesota alone.
I think, this movie, is not only fun but also teaches us a few major lessons. Like :
- Joy is not everything, Sadness can be helpful too.
- Sadness brings out the friendship in other people. For example, the part in which Joy realizes that people who came to help, came to help because of sadness.
- You really need to understand the consequences of your behavior. Like the time when Joy keeps stopping Sadness from touching the core memories but Sadness does not realise the consequences of her behavior on Riley’s mood.
- I am not sure about the exact learning here but I think it’s an important part of the movie : Disgust’s most important role in the story is when she purposely started making Anger angry and let fire come out of his head and burn the glass so that Joy and Sadness can come in and help .
- Finally, I think the biggest lesson is that no matter what, friendship, kindness and patience are always needed to overcome sadness and fear in our lives.